Monday, October 17, 2011

Instrument Families

When I was in elementary school, we had one hour a week when our teacher would send us down to the music room to have a music lesson from the music teacher.  We sang songs, we learned to clap rhythms, play the recorder, read music, and all sorts of music stuff.  I consider myself blessed.

Now a days kids are lucky if they sing songs in their normal classroom with their normal teacher.  Period.  That is unacceptable to me!  So I've decided to make music class a part of our normal school week.  Every Monday we'll have a new music lesson.  For our first lesson I taught the boys about musical instrument families.  I made this pocket chart to go with the lesson:


I introduced each family by reading some facts on them.  I used the info from this site.  Then the boys would go through all of the pictures of instruments and find those that went with the family we were talking about.  It was a breeze!


When the chart was all filled up, we went through our little box of kid instruments.  The kids sorted them into families, then we discussed why each instrument belonged to that family.


Next week I think we're gonna go down to Music Man's studio and have the kids point out all of the instruments for each family!

No comments:

Post a Comment