Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Gifts for a Boy and a Girl

New babies are a great motivator in getting me behind my sewing machine.  Recently I've had a couple friends who have had (or are having soon) new babies.  Here's a few of the things I made.

The first set is for a little boy.  Ironically enough, his name (or rather shortened form of his name) is Thor.  A great name for a Marvel-loving family (can you see why we like them?). :-)  This was their first boy after a 3 girl streak, so they (and all of us) were pretty excited!

What better for the son of Captain America (not MY little Captain America...oh no, he is hardly old enough, thank goodness.  My boys think Music Man's friend is Captain America because he's really tall and strong and blond, just like Captain America), than a Captain Jr. Onesie!


 And for those of you (REAL) Avenger fans, you'll know what this is.  But for those of you who aren't "learn-ed" in the ways of the Avengers, this is the symbol for S.H.I.E.L.D., which is the division in which General Fury created the Avengers.


Doesn't every new mom of a little boy need one of these?  A Pee-Pee-Teepee!  I do have to admit that I have NEVER used or really had to use one of these on my boys, but they've always looked so cute and it was fun and easy to make.  May I also note that this fabric was from my stash of, need I say "vintage," fabrics my mom gave me a while back that are from way back when I was a wee one.


Now for the girly stuff.  My other friend is the opposite of my first (previously mentioned) friend.  She has 2 boys and is having her first girl!  I like the sound of that!  Having all boys and mostly nephews, I don't get to make pink things very often.  In fact I found joy in trying it on little Monkey to make sure it would fit a (almost) 2 year old.  He just looked so cute (bad, rotten, mean mom points, I know!  That's about as child abusive as I get.).  He wouldn't stand still long enough for me to take a picture, but here's my proof he actually wore it:


Here's the outfit he's wearing (do you like how I used my Christmas tree box for a background...the same Christmas tree that is STILL left out, being used as a baby gate to our front stairs?).  The skirt was originally a big lady's skirt that my mom had for some reason bought "as is" without a zipper, thinking she would some day add a zipper.  She ended up giving it to me (Why did I accept it?  I must have had a vision of some sort).  So after holding on to this brand new skirt for...um, embarrassingly...years, I finally had a reason to use it!  I shrunk it into a cuter pleated skirt.  With some of the remnant fabric I made a flower for the shirt.


Now for my favorite.  My friend really enjoys photography, so I made her a little photo assistant onesie...in PINK!  Pink, oh pink.  (Really I used to hate pink until I had a boy...then another...then another...now I crave it in my laundry!)


Until the next baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment