Sunday, April 29, 2012

Creamy Tomato Soup

Sundays are my least favorite day to cook.  I don't know how people make it their biggest meal of the week.  Sunday is the one day I feel like its okay to kinda take it easy.  The last thing I want to do is cook or clean (and THAT is why you should NEVER stop by my house on Monday morning...not.EVER!).  Of course my husband feels the same way (even though he hardly ever cooks).  This creates quite a dilemma.   If only I were prepared and made something to throw in the crock-pot or picked up some easy put-together meal.  Alas, I'm not that prepared.  Usually my kids eat either scrambled eggs or cereal for all 3 meals of the day.  Or I try to get creative (seeing as I hate shopping on Saturdays and we usually run out of food on Friday night), because there isn't much in the kitchen.  Today was a "creative" day.  I had heavy cream in the fridge, canned tomatoes in the pantry, and homemade chicken stock in the freezer.  Here's what I came up with...and may I add that it was delicious.  Marvel told me he would have taken a 3rd bowl if he wasn't so full from the first 2.  


  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1-3 cloves garlic, minced (I used 3 small ones, but 1 big one would do it)
  • 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour (I used a gluten-free flour blend)
  • 1 28-oz. can Italian stewed tomatoes (DO NOT drain, you want those juices!)
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • salt and pepper to taste
Warm oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened.  Add garlic and cook until slightly softened and starts to smell a little garlicky, about a minute or so.  Stir in flour to blend and stir for about a minute.

Add tomatoes, juice and all!  Add chicken broth (if you're using frozen homemade stock, just through it in frozen, it'll melt!).  Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.  Whisk constantly, about 3 minutes, until slightly thickened.

Poor soup into blender (Be careful, its really hot.  You may want to use a ladle so it doesn't splash.  You may need to work in batches.  I did it in 2 batches.  You only want to fill the blender about 1/2 full so it doesn't spill over...that would hurt!).  Blend and puree until smooth.  Pour back into saucepan.  Stir in cream and cook over low heat for 3-5 minutes, until heated through.  Do not boil!  Season with salt and pepper to your liking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment