Sunday, April 15, 2012

Curry Chicken & Sweet Potato Stew

I'm quite quickly becoming a fan of the Paleo diet.  A Paleo diet is basically going back in time before processed food, additives, food dyes, and preservatives.  It incorporates healthy fats (good animal fats, coconut oil, etc), good meats (grass-fed, non-gmo, non-antibiotic, free-range, grazing...), raw nuts, fruits, and veggies...it goes along the same lines of what the Weston Price Foundation and the Feingold Diet teach (both of which I'm also a fan of).  I came across this website called Paleo: Intensified.  It has some really great recipes, many of which are allergy-free!  That is where I found this recipe.  Really, can't go wrong with curry OR sweet potatoes!

(please excuse my blurry picture...my cameras are all MIA, so I had to use my dinosaur phone)

  • 1 large purple onion
  • 3 stalks celery
  • 2 large carrots
  • 1 yellow bell pepper (I didn't have this, so I omitted it this time)
  • 3 large sweet potatoes
  • 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1-2 Tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • 1 can coconut milk
Chop onion, celery, and carrots and set aside.  Chop the yellow pepper and cube the sweet potatoes and set aside.  To prepare the chicken you can leave the thights whole or if using chicken breasts cut into thigh size pieces.  You can also choose to cut the chicken into 2 inch cubes (that's what I did).

Heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Cook chicken for 3 minutes on each side.  Remove from pan and keep warm.

Saunte the onions, celery, and carrots in the olive oil for 5-7 minutes.  You may need to add a bit more olive oil.  Add the yellow pepper and sweet potatoes and saute for 3 more minutes.

Stir in the curry powder, salt, and pepper.  Stir in the chicken broth and chicken, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes.

Stir in the coconut milk, simmer until the sweet potatoes reach the desired consistency, no more than 5-10 minutes.

Serves 6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment