Sunday, April 15, 2012

BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad

Quinoa (aka the Gold of the Incas), is the gluten-free grain of choice.  Its a complete protein, meaning it contains all of the amino acids necessary for our nutritional needs.  Its also high in iron and calcium and a good source of manganese, magnesium, copper, and fiber.  As far as health goes, its good stuff.  As far as taste...well that's up in the air.  I'm really trying hard to love the stuff, but as of right now I just like it ok.  In my search for a good quinoa recipe, I came across this on Pinterest (good, wonderful, amazing Pinterest).  It was a big hit with my kiddos and I have to admit I was quite a fan too (heck, add some good bbq sauce and anything tastes good, right?).  Just beware if you have allergies, be sure to check the ingredients in the bbq sauce.  You might want to even stick to homemade bbq sauce to avoid all of the caramel color and corn syrup.  



  • 1 cup cooked quinoa
  • 1/2 cup corn
  • 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup cooked, shredded bbq chicken
  • 1 avocado, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp cheese, shredded (I'm pretty sure I used much more than this, so add to taste.  I used a Mexican mix)
  • 2-4 Tbsp BBQ sauce (or to taste)
  • 2 scallions, chopped
  • cilantro for garnish
In a large bowl, toss together the quinoa, corn, black beans, chicken, and avocado.  Season with salt and pepper.

Transfer mixture onto a bowl and top with shredded cheese, bbq sauce, scallions, and cilantro.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

Serves 2-4.

1 comment:

  1. So delicious! Our family will definitely be having this again!

    ReplyDelete