Monday, September 5, 2011

PW's French Onion Soup

You'll soon come to find that I am an avid Pioneer Woman follower.  I love her.  I love the life she portrays (can't say she lives, because everyone knows that as real as you may be on a blog, really, come on, we know life isn't always happy times and perfection...well maybe for the Pioneer Woman, I don't know heehee :-) ) My dream is to live out in the open with a beautiful house and property that I really don't have to leave unless I want to, to raise cattle & have wild horses running through my yard.  And I wouldn't mind seeing my husband in Wranglers & chaps, riding a horse, roundin' up cattle, either.  I LOVE it!  I'm quite envious in a way.  My boys would love it too.  They all think they're cowboys anyway.  My oldest is VERY upset that he grew out of his cowboy boots & clothes & I haven't gotten him new ones yet.  Shame on me! 

Anyway, the Pioneer Woman is wonderful.  When it comes to food, I know I can ALWAYS count on her.  She NEVER lets me down.  There is NOTHING she has ever posted that I have tried that has been anything other than pure bliss.  This recipe being one of them.  Its SO good!  I do have to admit that I forgot to get Gruyere cheese, so I used the Mozzarella I had on hand...tasted great, but definitely needed a little bit saltier of a cheese (hence the reason why Gruyere is perfect).  For some reason I've always been scared of making onion soup.  Don't really know why, I guess I just always figured it would take too long to make, but it was WAY easy.  And it gets better as the days go by.  We ate it a couple days in a row and each day it just got better and better!  Mmm, makes my mouth water just thinking about it!


    • 1 stick Butter
    • 4 whole Large (or 6 Medium) Yellow Onions, Halved Root To Tip, And Sliced Thin
    • 1 cup (generous) Dry White Wine (I used chicken broth)
    • 4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
    • 4 cups Beef Broth
    • 2 cloves Minced Garlic
    • Worcestershire Sauce
    • Several Thick Slices Of French Bread Or Baguette
    • 5 ounces (to 7 Ounces) Gruyere Cheese, Grated
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    Melt butter in a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Place soup pot into the oven with the lid slightly ajar to ensure the onions will brown. Allow onions to cook in the oven for 1 hour, stirring at least once during the cooking process so onions won’t stick and burn.
    Remove pot from oven and place back on stovetop over medium heat. Stir, scraping off all the brown, flavorful bits. Turn off heat and pour in wine. Turn heat back to medium. Cook wine for five minutes, allowing it to reduce. Add broths, Worcestershire Sauce and minced garlic and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
    Butter one side of the bread slices and broil over low heat, allowing bread to brown and become crispy.
    When soup is ready, ladle into bowl or ramekin. Place crispy bread on top, and then sprinkle generously with grated cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.
    Serve immediately.

                    No comments:

                    Post a Comment