Monday, September 12, 2011

Goldfish...err...Cheesy Crackers

The other day I was frequenting Tasty Kitchen when I came across a recipe for homemade goldfish crackers.  Lately I've been on a quest to find tasty treats my kids will like, but that won't trigger their allergies...an allergy triggered kid in my household is NOT one you want to cross paths with!  One eldest son (and probably my 2nd as well) is allergic to wheat and possibly has a gluten intolerance (we just avoid anything with gluten since it usually has wheat in it) and one of the snacks he says he REALLY misses is goldfish crackers.  I was SO thrilled to come across this recipe so I could try making a gluten free version. He really should avoid dairy too, but I couldn't resist making him just one delicious batch of one of his favorite snacks!  I tried making myself a goldfish cookie cutter out of tin foil.  It worked for the 1st 2 crackers, then it kinda fell apart.  So I gave up and made bite-size circles instead.  So I guess they're not "technically" goldfish crackers, but really who's counting anyway?

  • 8 ounces, weight Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
  • 4 Tbsp butter, cut into cubes
  • 1 cup flour
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp cold water
Pulse everything (except water) together in the food processor until the dough resembles coarse sand.

Pulse in water, 1 Tbsp at a time.

Remove dough from the processor, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minutes.

Roll out the dough adn cut into desired shapes.  you can use a toothpick to make the eyes and smile if desired.  Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.

Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes, or until crispy.

Makes approximately 7 dozen crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment