Saturday, March 10, 2012

Homemade Ginger Ale

I'm slowly, but surely, warming up to ginger.  I used to hate it.  I still don't quite appreciate its strong taste and the burning sensation it causes when you accidently bite into a chunk in Asian food, but I do finally like Reed's Ginger Beer.  Took some getting used to, but I can proudly say that I really really enjoy it!  I've made homemade ginger ale a couple times now and I actually find it very tasty.  I'm a big fan.  Ginger is so good for you.  It settles unhappy tummies (especially when in ginger beer or ginger ale...the bubbly helps too), is quite handy in treating cough, cold & congestion problems, can relieve burns, season food, reduce toothaches...really its good stuff.  Check out 10 Health Benefits of Ginger.  So ginger is good stuff and homemade ginger ale is super good stuff.  Oh, and I forgot to mention, its SO easy to make!!!


  • 2 cups rough chopped fresh ginger (about 3 large pieces)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • Large bottle of sparkling water
  • Fresh limes (each beverage requires one half)
To make the Ginger Syrup Mix:

In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the water and ginger pieces until barely simmering. Simmer for five minutes, turn off heat, cover and let steep for one hour. Drain the ginger water over a fine mesh strainer into a measuring cup. Discard the ginger pieces. Pour the mixture back into the same saucepan, add the sugar and gently heat this mixture until the sugar dissolves. Let cool and store this Ginger Syrup in the fridge.

To make a Ginger Ale:

In each tall glass, add ice, 2 parts ginger syrup, 1 part fresh-squeezed lime juice, 3 parts sparkling water. Stir and taste. Adjust amounts to your liking (I added more sparkling water).

No comments:

Post a Comment