All of the hard work we put into it was worth it to watch our oldest son so eager to help out. He couldn't really serve the soup, so he whipped on the gloves and handed trays to those who were serving!
Helping those who are less fortunate then us, really puts our lives into perspective. The thing that effected all of us the most, was seeing the little children go through the line. Some of them had no clue of their unfortunate circumstances, but some were so sad. You could read it in their faces that they have gone through hell and back. I just wanted to swoop them up and take them home with me. Definitely makes me grateful for the things that I CAN provide for my children and stops me griping about what I CAN'T!
Here's the recipe:
- 3 cans beans (I usually use kidney, garbanzo, and black beans, but you can use whatever you choose)
- 2 cans Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 can corn
- 2-3 large spoonfuls of taco seasoning
- Grated cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Sour cream, for garnish (optional)
- Tortilla chips, for garnish (optional)