Thursday, December 8, 2011

Less Pinning, More Doing: Burlap Ruffle Wreath

Hi, my name is Queen Bee and I am a pinaholic.  Yes it is true, I admit it, I have an addiction and it is called Pinterest.  I've pinned way too many things that chances are I most likely will never ever make or do, but they're organized so lovely and easy to find.  Instead of jamming my computer with all sorts of never-to-be-made project ideas, its now on the internet!  Yippee!

My goal this week has been to do:


I didn't get off on the right foot seeing as I had a sick 18-month old Monkey who decided he needed to be held pretty much every waking minute of his day.  But today:
Can you believe it?  I hardly can.  After weeks of pinning, I've finally made my very first official project!  And its so lovely too.  The idea originated from Janet at Today's Fabulous Finds.  You can click over to her to get a more detailed view of the project.

I made a ruffly wreath made form burlap.  So cute.  This year for Christmas I'm in to rustic and glitter.  I'm not so sure how either one of those connects, but I'm trying my darnedest to some how make it all work.

Here she is:


For this one I used a green-tinted burlap, but I also made a traditionally brown burlap wreath as well.   Since I made the green one specifically for Christmas, I hung it from a big red frame I had (you might recognize it from the Willy Wonka party we had a few months back).


Here's a few tips I learned form doing this tutorial.

  1. Foam rings are tricky.  You should be able to find them at your local dollar store, for none other than....a dollar!  Amazing.  If you're struggling to find them or your dollar store doesn't have them and you don't want to fork out like 6 bucks, try this technique.  I didn't do it for my first wreath, but did for my second.  I do recommend covering the entire thing in duct tape or else the pins will all pop out.
  2. Like I said before, I used this tutorial, which was good, but I was just a little confused on how to pinch the burlap squares (I don't know why, I'm a little challenged at times!), so I made my own picts of it.  They may or may not be easier to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment